An under counter ice maker is the convenient, compact way to make plenty of ice available when you need it for parties, the office, or wherever you need to keep the ice flowing. An under counter ice maker saves space by being small enough to fit under a counter or table out of the way.
An under counter ice maker can be expensive, particularly if it is commercial-grade and designed for business operations. Less expensive models are available that still have the durability and flexibility you need.
What should you consider when purchasing an undercounter ice maker?
Standalone or Built-In
Some models are designed to be built-n with air vents on the front and some are designed to be standalone and need space around them for air circulation. Some can be installed either way.
Built-in models also typically require more installation costs including plumbing whereas standalone or freestanding models are plug-in and go.
Interested in seeing other ice maker solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Ice Maker Dispenser: Top Rated Countertop Ice Maker Dispenser
- Home Ice Machine: Top Rated Countertop Ice Maker
- Manitowoc Ice Machines: Intelligent Neo Undercounter Commercial Ice Machine Series
- EdgeStar Portable Stainless Steel Ice Maker
- Counter Top Ice Maker: Top 7 Best Rated Compact Ice Makers
- Crushed Ice Machine: Top Rated Professional Home Ice Crusher
- Undercounter Ice Machine: Top Rated Compact Commercial 85 lb Ice Maker
- Hoshizaki Ice Maker: Hoshizaki Ice Maker Selection Guide
- Undercounter Ice Maker: 3 Top 12-Pound Ice Machines
Not all 12-pound ice makers are the same. You can’t wait around for ice to be made. When you need it, you need it. So, ice storage capability can be as important as how much ice the machine can make in 24 hours.
Also, just because it can store it, doesn’t mean it has the ability to keep it frozen while you wait. If you need the ice to stay frozen for longer periods, you will need to buy a model with the ability to keep the ice in holding frozen.
Ice comes in a variety of shapes and sizes each with its own purpose. Here is a brief primer on ice shapes:
- Full Cube – Melt slowly, cool quickly, ideal for restaurants
- Half Cube – Restaurants fill customers’ glasses with half cubes to take up space so they use less liquid and save costs
- Crescent Ice – Doesn’t stick together like other shapes, most common ice-maker shape, shaped like small half-moons
- Gourmet or Octagon Ice – High-end, high-quality, crystal clear ice created using a unique freezing process that eliminates trapped air
- Flake Ice – Small chips of display ice used in refrigerated cases for seafood and other presentations
- Nugget or Sonic Ice – Absprbs flavor of drink, softer, easily chewed, made famous by Sonic restaurants
Drain and Plumbing
Commercial models incorporate connections that allows the water refill to be automatic. That means that plumbing is required on the front-end to deliver water to the connections.
Some models require a drain to drain off excess water.
Self-contained models don’t require a drain and can easily be connected with a simple water connection.
Be aware of the plumbing requirements of any model you’re considering.
Looking for a compact, stylish beverage refrigerator for your bar or rec room? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Drink Refrigerator: 7 Fun Compact Beverage Refrigerators Keep Drinks Cold
- Small Wine Refrigerator: Top 7 Best Rated Small Wine Coolers
- Beer Bottle Fridge: Top 6 Beer Bottle Can Refrigerators
- Beverage Fridge: Top Rated Small Beverage Refrigerator
- Wine Refrigerators: Top 5 Compact Wine Coolers
- Danby Wine Refrigerator: Bargain 36 Bottle Wine Cooler
- Wine Fridge: Elegant Wine Cooler Keeps 18 Bottles Perfectly Chilled
- Beverage Refrigerator: Top 5 Compact Beverage Coolers
We searched refrigeration forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media, customer review sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated under counter ice maker.
Take a look at our choice and see if this 12-pound ice maker is the best ice maker for your needs!
Under Counter Ice Maker: Top Rated Budget 12 Pound Ice Machine
The Sunpentown IM-150US Stainless Steel Under-Counter Ice Maker with Freezer is one of the most popular under counter ice machines available. It produces 12 lbs. of ice every 24 hours and is compact enough to fit under most counters or tables. It has front ventilation that gives you the flexibility to install it as a built-in or a standalone unit. Its convenience features include auto-shutoff when the ice bin is full and a reversible door.
Under Counter Ice Maker: Features
- 12-pounds per 24 hours crescent ice making capability with a 6 pound bin storage capacity
- Built-in or freestanding installation with front venting and no drain requirement
- Good looking stainless steel door in front of an all-black cabinet will complement any décor
- Auto-shutoff when ice bin is full
- Reversible door give you installation flexibility
- Manual defrost
- Dimensions are 15D x 18W x 25H inches and it weighs 54 lbs.
- 1 – 25-foot, 1/4 inch food grade water line connection
- 1 – Ice scoop
- Easy installation
- Good value for the money
- Makes a lot of ice fast
- Attractive design
- Bin is small
- Manual defrost
- Beware included cheap plastic water line coupling
Under Counter Ice Maker
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you like about this compact ice machine? Which ice maker is at the top of your list to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
An under counter ice machine delivers the ice you need while staying tucked neatly out of the way under a counter or table. Available in built-in or freestanding models, there has never been a better selection of models to fit your requirements. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right under counter ice maker for your needs!