A truck fridge needs to do the tough job of keeping food and drinks cool while enduring hours of over-the-road (OTR) travel. A truck fridge may have to suffer through hot temperatures, cold temperatures, heavy vibration, jolting from potholes, unstable DC power, and a host of other challenges that truckers face. A truck fridge is different from a car fridge that may not have to hold as much food and may be better suited to a thermoelectric model.
A truck fridge also needs to be small enough and slim enough to fit in a truck. Whether it’s the cab or a sleeper, there isn’t a lot of room for anything else, let alone a large refrigerator.
Interested in learning about other portable refrigerator solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Truck Refrigerator: Over-the-Road Trucker Fridge Buying Tips
- Dometic Fridge: Portable Dometic Dual-Zone True Refrigerator Freezer
- Portable Fridge: Extra-Large Portable Overland Refrigerator Freezer Keeps Food Colder
- Auto Refrigerator: Newest Rugged 12V Portable Fridge Freezer
- Boat Refrigerator: Top Rated AC-DC Portable Marine Fridge Freezer
- ARB Fridge: Durable, Efficient ARB Fridge Freezers Win Heat War
- Dometic RV Refrigerator: Dometic Portable Fridge Freezer Powerhouse
- Camper Refrigerator: Portable Refrigerator Saves Camping Trip
- Portable Refrigerator: Top 8 Portable Real Fridges
Long haul truckers don’t need the added inconvenience of stocking a cooler with ice or the pain of dealing with a thermoelectric cooler that just won’t keep their drinks and food cold enough.
Thermoelectric coolers depend on ambient temperature to achieve cooling, so if it gets warmer in your truck, particularly during stops, you may find your food and beverages getting too warm. While a 12 volt cooler is portable, they are usually smaller because typical thermoelectric cooling devices do better cooling smaller spaces.
A compressor-based truck fridge on the other hand works just like your fridge at home and isn’t dependent on the ambient temperature to achieve its colder temperatures. They can be larger to hold plenty of food and beverages depending on your needs.
Do you need your refrigerator to be portable? Most all portable, compressor-based refrigerators can be moved from place to place, but some are more portable than others. If you’re going to be moving it yourself from vehicle to vehicle, then you should consider a portable fridge.
Some models can be either a portable freezer or refrigerator depending on your needs.
You may have an onboard inverter that can provide power to a regular refrigerator, but many portable refrigerators can handle either 12VDC or 120VAC power. A 12 volt refrigerator gives you the flexibility to operate from an available 12VDC power port.
Portable, compressor-based truck refrigerators aren’t cheap. You can expect to pay well over $500 for the larger sizes. Many truckers feel that for the convenience and performance, you can’t beat a compressor-based portable truck fridge.
We searched trucker forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, retail sites, customer review sites, and social media to find the most popular and highly rated slim fit truck refrigerator.
Take a look at our choice and see if this is the best portable refrigerator for your needs!
Whynter is known for their durable, long-lasting portable refrigerator/freezers that deliver exceptional quality, design, engineering, convenience, and support. Their Whynter FM-452SG Elite 45-Quart Slim Fit Portable Refrigerator/Freezer is a perfect example of a portable, compressor-based refrigerator or freezer that will keep your food and beverages chilled or frozen no matter the weather. It’s SlimFit design with a high-profile cabinet and removable top opening lid allows it to tuck neatly into tight spaces against a wall or in corners in trucks, RVs, and boats. Despite its slim profile it has a full 1.5 cu. ft. of storage space with a large and small removable organization basket. Capable of operating from an available 12VDC power port, it’s truly a portable cooling or freezing solution. Convenience features include automatic LED interior lighting and a door ajar alarm. Portable design functions properly even when tilted to 30 degrees
Truck Fridge: Features
- 45-quart, 1.5 cu. ft., compressor-based, 2-in-1, portable true refrigerator/freezer capable of cooling between -8 to +50 degrees F
- Two operational modes including Automatic Mode for hassle-free operation and Low Speed Motor Mode for energy saving operation
- Capable of operating from an available 12VDC power port you can take this slim portable refrigerator just about anywhere
- Space-saving features include a high-profile cabinet that allows it to fit cleanly against a wall or into corners maximizing vertical space and minimizing footprint and a top loading design with a lid opening from the narrow size of the freezer for easier access in tight spaces
- Lid is completely removable with a simple click lock for more accessibility options
- Tough, solid outer casing is designed for rough portable operation
- Insulated lid and walls helps maintain temperature longer
- Storage organization touches include a small and large removable wire basket
- Adjustable LED temperature display allows you to maintain more consistent temperatures between -8 and +50 degrees F
- LED interior lighting automatically illuminates when the door is opened to give you a better view of your food and beverages in low light conditions
- A door ajar alarm chime activates when the door is left ajar for 60 seconds or more to help prevent accidental temperature loss and a Power-Low indicator keeps you informed about the status of power
- Chest design loses less heat when the door is opened
- Durable metal handles make transport easier
- Built-in bottle cap remover
- External dimensions are 27W x 14.5L x 20H inches and it weighs 52 lbs.
- ETL Certified
- 1-Year limited warranty
- 1 – 8-foot AC power cord
- 1 – 5-foot DC power cord
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this truck fridge? Which portable fridge are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
The right truck refrigerator can make all the difference in the life of a long-haul trucker. The convenience, cost-savings, and time-savings of having all your food and drinks right at hand in your own real refrigerator is too good to pass up for many truckers. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best truck fridge for your needs!