A tiny refrigerator is a perfect size for office cubicles, dorm rooms, rec rooms, or anywhere space is too tight for larger refrigerators. A tiny refrigerator without a freezer gives you more space for beverages and foods you want to keep cold instead of using up valuable space inside with a small freezer section with questionable performance.
What do we mean by tiny refrigerator? There is no definitive definition of a compact refrigerator. They can be up to 4.0 cu. ft. or more while mini fridges tend to be under 3.0 cu. ft. The smallest mini refrigerators or tiny fridges are under 2.0 cu. ft.
Interested in learning about other popular compact refrigerators? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Compact All Refrigerator: Top Rated Stainless Steel Mini Fridge
- Compact Refrigerator Without Freezer: Top Rated All-Refrigerator Mini Fridge
- Minifridge: Top Rated Mid-Sized Compact Refrigerator
- Igloo Refrigerator: Compact Refrigerator Sparks Romance
- Daewoo Refrigerator: Best Looking New Retro Style Compact Refrigerator
- Small Office Refrigerator: Top 5 Best Rated Compact Office Refrigerators
- Compact Refrigerator with Lock: 4 Top Rated Lockable Mini Fridges
- Danby Compact Refrigerator: Big Storage Spotless Steel All Fridge
- Little Fridge: Most Popular Compact Refrigerator and Freezer
- Stainless Steel Mini Fridge: Top 5 Best Rated Compact Refrigerators
- Vintage Refrigerator: Best Classic Compact Retro Refrigerators
- Small Refrigerator Freezer: Top 5 Compact Fridge Freezers
- Garage Fridge: Coolest Compact Garage Refrigerator
- Small Fridge: Best Compact Refrigerator
- Retro Refrigerator: Best Compact Retro Fridge
- Micro Fridge: Coldest Compact Mini Fridge
What should you look for in a tiny refrigerator?
Some small refrigerators come with an even smaller freezer section inside the compartment. These tiny freezers cause two problems.
First, they don’t generally have their own temperature control and depend on you balancing the temperature between the refrigerator and freezer sections. This balancing act is difficult at best and some have said it’s impossible. In other words, your frozen foods will probably not end up as frozen as you would like and your refrigerated items may be more frozen than you would like even when everything is in balance.
Second, that small freezer section introduces compromise in storage design that means you won’t be able to as efficiently store your refrigerated foods and beverages.
You should think carefully when choosing a mini fridge if a freezer is essential to your selection.
Automatic defrost models actually have the ability to heat the evaporator coil for a short period to melt frost that has formed on the coil. It would seem that if it’s available, you should choose a model with automatic defrost. Afterall, that’s what your home refrigerator has and it’s easier than leaving the refrigerator door open once in awhile.
There are a couple of drawbacks to auto defrost that you should consider.
First, all that heating uses energy and that makes automatic defrost less energy-efficient. It’s possible for an automatic defrosting mini fridge to use significantly more energy over time.
Second, the auto-defrost system makes the mini fridge more complicated with more parts that can fail.
Storage and Organization Features
It’s true that a tiny refrigerator is small, but you still don’t want to just throw all the food and drinks in there without organizing them. Some mini fridges have better storage designs and features than others. Pay attention to what storage features each model has so you can choose wisely.
We searched refrigerator forums, manufacturer sites, social media, customer review sites, retail sites, and consumer sites to find the most popular and highly rated mini fridge.
Take a look at our choice and see if this Danby all-refrigerator model is the best mini fridge for your needs!
The Danby DAR017A2BDD 1.7 Cu. Ft. All Refrigerator in Black has unique features that make it a perfect choice for offices, dorms, rec rooms, and more. Danby is well known for the popular compact refrigerators that feature high-quality construction and materials. This mini fridge features an innovative 3rd generation CanStor beverage dispenser, an integrated worktop with a scratch-resistant finish, and an automatic defrost system for less maintenance.
Other handy organization features include full-width and half-width removable, adjustable wire shelves. You will appreciate the full 18-Month limited warranty.
Tiny Refrigerator: Features
- 1.7 cu. ft. mini all-refrigerator
- 3rd generation CanStor beverage dispenser
- Tall bottle door storage
- Full-width and half-width adjustable, removable wire shelves
- Scratch-resistant worktop gives you a handy storage space for accessories or small appliances as well as a nice work surface
- Mechanical thermostat
- Integrated automatic defrost system
- Get placement flexibility with its reversible door, integrated door handle, and smooth back design
- ENERGY-STAR compliant
- Uses environmentally-friendly R600a refrigerant
- Long 18-Month limited warranty for peace-of-mind
- Small size fits just about anywhere
- Excellent value
- Quiet operation
- Nice storage and organization features
- Some complaints that the door doesn’t close securely
- Several complaints of damage in shipment
- No interior light
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this compact all-refrigerator? Which mini fridge are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A compact refrigerator can be a lifesaver for college students, office dwellers, bar owners, and more. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best tiny refrigerator for your needs!