You’re looking for a small refrigerator freezer for the den, family room, bar, or break room, but you’re not sure which one to buy. There certainly are a lot of manufacturers and models to consider when it comes to a small refrigerator freezer. So how do you choose models with refrigerators and freezers in one?
Looking for the best in compact refrigerators? Be sure and see our articles Garage Fridge: Coolest Compact Garage Refrigerator, Small Fridge: Best Compact Refrigerator, Retro Refrigerator: Best Compact Retro Fridge, Micro Fridge: Coldest Compact Mini Fridge, Mini Fridge With Freezer: Top 5 Compact Refrigerator-Freezers, and Small Refrigerator: Top 5 Compact Refrigerators.
This article is about both how to choose a small refrigerator freezer and which one to choose. First, how do you pick the perfect compact refrigerator for your needs?
Let’s begin by talking what kind of compact fridge freezer you need. The two basic types are small refrigerators with a small freezer compartment inside the refrigerator and models with a freezer that is separate from the refrigerator and had its own door.
Need a compact refrigerator specifically for beverages? See our beverage refrigerator and wine refrigerator articles including Beverage Fridge: Top Rated Small Beverage Refrigerator, Beer Gift: Give Our Favorite Beer Kegerator, Wine Refrigerators: Top 5 Compact Wine Coolers, Danby Wine Refrigerator: Bargain 36 Bottle Wine Cooler, Beer Refrigerator: 7 Kegerators Keep Beer Fun Flowing Colder, Wine Fridge: Elegant Wine Cooler Keeps 18 Bottles Perfectly Chilled, and Beverage Refrigerator: Top 5 Compact Beverage Coolers.
If what you want is mainly a beverage refrigerator or food refrigerator with light freezer duty, like maybe an ice cube tray, then a model with the freezer inside the refrigerator may work for you. On the other hand, if you have dreams of keeping some ice cream cold and rock hard, you must get a model with a separate door and compartment.
Compact fridges with the freezer inside the refrigerator are a compromise. Somehow you have to adjust the thermostat to get the freezer as cold as possible while not freezing the refrigerated food and vice versa. This can be a daunting task and if the words “ice cream” are in your head, then the inside the fridge freezer just isn’t going to cut it.
Need something more portable? See our articles Portable Refrigerator: Top 8 Portable Real Fridges and 12V Refrigerator: Top 5 Best Vehicle Coolers and Refrigerators.
A refrigerator with freezer with a completely separate compartment gives you better performance in keeping fresh and frozen foods at their own ideal temperature. If you’re looking for a compact fridge more like your full-size home refrigerator freezer, then a model with a separate freezer compartment is the only way to go.
Looking for a dorm fridge? Be sure and see our article dedicated to dorm fridges and microwaves; Back To College Appliances: Best Appliance Combo. It has our list of microwave and fridge polices for the top 50 major colleges and universities in the U.S!!
You also need to consider where you’re going to place your new fridge freezer. Can the door swing both left and right in that location? If not, make sure you get a model with a reversible door or at least make sure the door swings your way.
Looking for compact freezers? Be sure and check out our articles Small Deep Freezer: Best Compact Chest Freezer, Small Freezers: Top 7 Ice Cold Compact Chest Freezers, and Mini Freezer: Top 5 Best Selling Compact Freezers.
All of the models in our list are 3.1 cu. ft. which seems to be the sweet spot in this category of compact refrigerators. They are also all top freezer refrigerators. You can buy smaller and larger apartment refrigerators, but if you want a compact refrigerator freezer, this is a great list to start from.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these small refrigerators is the perfect model for your needs!
Small Refrigerator Freezer: Top 5 Compact Fridge Freezers
Whynter may be more familiar to you as a maker of high-quality coolers and portable refrigerators, but they also put that quality into their Whynter Small Appliances MRF-310DB Compact Double Door Refrigerator/Freezer. A very unique feature of this small fridge is its black dry-erase doors and blue neon marker which can be used for fun or memos and then easily erased. It is the perfect fit for workplace break rooms, as a dorm fridge, or anyplace you need its cooling and freezing capability. It also features bottle and can storage in the door, low-noise operation, and interior lighting. Here’s what you need to know.
- 3.1 Cu. Ft. of space between the refrigerator and freezer
- Unique dry-erase doors with included neon marker
- Flat back allows it to be positioned against walls or in corners
- Two removable shelves including one wire and one glass
- In-door 2-liter bottle and can storage compartment
- Low noise level operation
- Adjustable mechanical thermostat
- Soft interior lighting
- Clear-view vegetable crisper
- Reversible door for easy placement right where you need it
- Dimensions are 19.75L x 18.5D x 33H inches and it weighs 52 lbs.
- One-Year limited warranty
- Separate freezer makes a big difference
- Dry-erase front is not just a novelty
- Can rack in door is a nice touch
- Surprisingly large freezer compartment
- Some reports of noisy operation
Frigidaire makes a wide range of refrigerator models and their compact refrigerator-freezers like the Frigidaire FFPH31M6LM 3.1 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator-Freezer are some of the most popular. It’s easy to see why. With many features designed to allow you to store more in less space and a built-in countertop, this model will be a great addition to your den, cubicle, family room, or anyplace you need its functionality. Here’s what you need to know about these Frigidaire refrigerators and freezers.
- 3.1 cu. ft. of storage space between the refrigerator and freezer
- Handy SpaceWise Countertop for placing a microwave or freeing up other counter space
- Both shelf and door rack storage in the freezer
- Large refrigerator STORE-MORE door bins hold additional food or drinks
Reversible door gives you more placement options
- Bright interior lighting makes it easier to see what’s inside
- The STORE-MORE clear crisper drawer keeps fruits and vegetables fresher, longer
- Nice styling
- Durable construction
- Quiet operation
- Top shelf is very handy
- Can storage is not removable or configurable
- Thermostat doesn’t hold temperature
SPT or Sunpentown is known for its great compact fridges and freezers and the SPT RF-314SS Double Door Stainless Steel Compact Refrigerator Freezer is no exception. Its separate fridge and freezer compartments keep frozen food frozen and fresh food cold and fresh. Ideal for the den, as a dorm refrigerator, or office fridge, it features handy storage touches, a vegetable crisper drawer, and quiet operation. Here’s what you need to know.
- 3.1 cu. ft. storage capacity between the refrigerator and freezer
- Slide-out wire shelf gives you storage flexibility
- Can dispenser and tall bottle rack
- Transparent vegetable crisper drawer with glass shelf keeps fruits and vegetables fresher
- Reversible doors lets you place this fridge where you need it
- Flush-back design saves space by allowing you to place the unit close to the wall
- Adjustable thermostat
- Quiet operation
- Front leveling legs
- Dimensions are 18.5W x 19.875D x 33.5H inches
- Very quiet operation
- Accurate temperature control
- Nice styling and design
- Refrigerator shelves not adjustable
SPT RF-314SS 3.1 Cu. Ft. Double Door Refrigerator Freezer Instruction Manual >>>
The midea WHD-113FSS1 Double Reversible Door Refrigerator and Freezer is a very popular model that you will also not find on the midea website. Be cautious with this one because it may be discontinued, but it’s still sold by plenty of vendors and so if you can find one, it should be a good buy.
- 3.1 cu. ft. storage capacity shared between the refrigerator and freezer
- Separate fruit and vegetable crisper drawer keeps fruits and vegetables fresher
- Low-noise operation
- Adjustable thermostat
- Bright interior light
- Reversible door gives you more flexibility in placement
- Adjustable leveling legs
- Dimensions are 18.5W x 19.37D x 32.95H inches
- 1-Year limited warranty on unit and 2-year limited warranty on the compressor
- Very quiet operation
- Lots of space to store food and drinks
- Great value
- Great styling and design
- Generates a good amount of heat
One of the most popular fridge-freezer units on the market, the Danby DCR031B1BSLDD Double Door Compact Refrigerator-Freezer has the quality and features that users love. The perfect fridge for dorm rooms, apartments, rec rooms, bars, cottages, and offices, it has an advanced mechanical thermostat that keeps foods at the proper temperature. The spotless-steel finish mimics the look of stainless steel without the extra cost and is easy to clean. Here’s what you need to know these Danby refrigerators.
- 3.1 cu. ft. of storage capacity shared between the fridge and freezer compartments
- Advanced technology mechanical thermostat makes it easy to adjust the temperature to the perfect level and includes a handy-cycle defrosting system
- Spotless-steel finish is easy to clean and gives you the look of stainless steel without the extra cost
- Transparent vegetable crisper has a glass cover and keeps fruits and vegetables fresher
- One full-width tempered glass shelf
- Plenty of space for tall bottles in the integrated tall bottle storage
- CanStor beverage dispensing system
- Bright interior light lets you see what’s in your fridge
- A reversible door allows you to place the unit where you want it
- 18-Month limited warranty on parts and labor
- Smooth back design saves space by allowing you to place the unit close to the wall
- Dimensions are 18-14/16W x 19-11/16D x 33-7/16H inches
- Accurate temperature control
- Quality construction
- Handy adjustable shelf
- Quiet operation
- Door may not open on carpet
- Lighting is too dim
- Bottles fall over easily on wire shelf
- Some reports it doesn’t get as cold as wanted
Danby DCR031B1BSLDD Compact Fridge Freezer User’s Manual >>>
Danby DCR031B1BSLDD Product Spec Sheet >>>
Small Refrigerator Freezer Comparison Chart
|Title||Danby DCR031B1BSLDD 2 Door Compact Refrigerator, Spotless Steel, 3.1 Cubic Feet||SPT RF-314SS Double Door Refrigerator, Stainless Steel, 3.1 Cubic Feet||Nostalgia Electrics RRF325HNBLK Retro Series 3.1 Cubic Feet Compact Refrigerator Freezer||Frigidaire FFPH31M6LM 3.1 Cu. Ft. Compact Refrigerator - Silver Mist||Whynter Small Appliances Compact Double Door Energy Star Refrigerator/Freezer, 3.1 Cubic Feet||midea WHD-113FSS1 Double Reversible Door Refrigerator and Freezer, 3.1 Cubic Feet, Stainless Steel|
|Feature||3.1 cu.ft. total capacity|
.87 cu.ft. independent freezer section
Spotless Steel door finish
1 full width tempered glass shelf for storage
Integrated door shelving with tall bottle storage
|Double door: separate fridge and freezer compartments|
Slide-out wire shelf for storage versatility
Can dispenser and tall bottle rack
HCFC-free; Manual defrost
|Retro styled mini-refrigerator with 3.1 cubic foot capacity|
Full range adjustable thermostat
Separate freezer compartment
Spacious, clear fruit and vegetable crisper and two removable shelves
Can dispenser holds up to 6 cans of beverages
|FFPH31M6LM 3.1 Cu. Ft. Double Door Refrigerator with Glass Shelves - EStar||Total Storage Volume : 3.1 cu. ft. - Freezer Volume: 0.9 cu. ft., Refrigerator Volume: 2.2 cu. ft.|
Black Dry-Erase Reversible Door with one Neon Blue Marker
Two shelves - One removable flat slide out wire shelf and one removable flat slide out glass shelf
Mechanical temperature control
Clear view vegetable crisper and 2-liter bottle and canned beverage storage on refrigerator door
|Mechanical temperature control; Interior light|
Adjustable legs; Reversible door
Separate fruit and vegetable drawer
Full 1-Year / Compressor 2-Year Warranty
|Warranty||18 months parts and labor with in-home service.||1 Year Warranty on Labor and Parts||One Year Limited Manufacturer Warranty||Full 1-Year / Compressor 2-Year Warranty|
|Height||33.44 inch||33.5 inch||34 inch||33.5 inch||33 inch||32.95 inch|
|Weight||59.5 pound||94 pound||63 pound||52 pound||52.24 pound|
|Width||18.88 inch||18.5 inch||23 inch||18.67 inch||19.75 inch||19.37 inch|
|Length||19.69 inch||19.88 inch||20 inch||19.5 inch||18.5 inch||18.5 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Mar 25 1:54:22 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
Do you see a model you like on our list? Which compact refrigerator freezer is at the top of your list to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our BestRefrigeratorCentral.com article! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that you can use to choose the best small refrigerator freezer for your needs!