If you are serious about your outdoor and travel adventures, you need a portable fridge that is large, durable, and capable of supporting multiple power sources. Serious outdoorsmen buy compressor-based fridge freezers that don’t depend on ambient temperature like thermoelectric models do. The right portable fridge can make all the difference when traveling, camping, or off-roading.
It might be tempting to save money by buying a compressor-less cooler or choosing a portable fridge that is ultra-compact, but ultimately you will probably be disappointed with less than a real refrigerator and not being able to take your favorite food and beverages with you will only be frustrating when you’re on the road.
What are some of the key features you should look for in a portable fridge?
Dual-voltage capability is also important because if you have 110/120V AC power available you want to be able to take advantage of it, but when it’s not you also want to be able to keep things cold using 12/24V DC power. That kind of flexibility is exactly what outdoorsmen need when they’re on an adventure and aren’t sure what’s coming next.
Interested in seeing other portable true refrigerator freezers? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Auto Refrigerator: Newest Rugged 12V Portable Refrigerator Freezer
- Boat Refrigerator: Top Rated AC-DC Portable Marine Fridge Freezer
- ARB Fridge: Durable, Efficient ARB Fridge Freezers Win Heat War
- Dometic RV Refrigerator: Dometic Portable Refrigerator Freezer Powerhouse
- Camper Refrigerator: Portable Refrigerator Saves Camping Trip
- Truck Refrigerator: Over-the-Road Trucker Fridge Buying Tips
- Portable Refrigerator: Top 8 Portable Real Fridges
If you’re going to be operating off the grid for any period, there aren’t a lot of choices for rugged real refrigerators with the capacity and features designed to make roughing it as enjoyable as possible. We included the term “rugged” because that’s what you need when you’re off the beaten path. Between vibration, dust, wear and tear, and rough handling, a portable fridge that is designed to minimum specs won’t cut it. You need one designed for the extremes to make sure you don’t end up with a lot of spoiled food and nothing to eat.
If you have a large group that depends on your portable fridge for cold food and drinks, you will need a large model capable of accommodating all the food and drinks you need to keep cold. You also need a portable refrigerator that is very reliable with a proven track record of dependability.
You may not think about energy consumption when it comes to portable refrigerator freezers, but portable real refrigerators have real compressors and compressors can use a lot of power. That’s why it’s also very important that you get a large portable fridge freezer with a highly-efficient compressor that uses less energy than traditional compressors.
We searched outdoor forums, retail sites, social media, customer reviews sites, manufacturer sites, and consumer sites to find the most popular, heavy-duty, extra-large portable true refrigerator freezer.
Take a look at this Engel refrigerator freezer and see if its the best portable refrigerator for your needs!
With a legendary reputation for durability and dependability that extends back more than 50 years, Engel makes real portable fridge freezers that feature high-efficiency compressors, dual voltage capability, and a heavy-duty design that will meet the needs of adventurers, fisherman, hunters, and campers the world over. The Engel MT80-U1 Dual Voltage 84-Quart Fridge/Freezer is Engel’s largest overland portable refrigerator freezer, comes with Engel’s highly efficient Swing Motor, and has durable construction with rugged dependability built-in. This Engel fridge caters to the needs of serious outdoorsmen who need the rugged dependability, performance, and extra-large size of this portable fridge.
Portable Fridge: Features
- Rugged, durable, high-performance 84-quarts or 120 cans capacity, dual voltage true refrigerator freezer can keep its contents fresh or frozen at temperatures between -6 and 50 degrees F wherever your adventures take you
- Highly efficient, 100% CFS-Free, and durable Engel Swing Motor Compressor draws approximately 1 to 2 Amps per hour (even at startup) or up to 40% less power than a traditional compressor
- Dual-voltage, this portable fridge will automatically select between either your vehicle’s 12V/24V DC power or 110V/120V AC household power and is solar power compatible
- Variable temperature control allows you to adjust the interior temperature between -6 and 50 degrees F
- Operates effectively at inclines up to 30 degrees off level and is vibration resistant to operate in harsh, extreme conditions
- Removable hinged lid gives you easy access to your food and beverages
- Corrosion-resistant, galvanized steel outer case with Melamine coating
- UL Approved
- 2-Year limited warranty
- Dimensions are 31.1L x 19.3W x 21.7H inches and it weighs 100 lbs.
- 1 – AC and DC cord 12V/24V hardwire
- 1 – Interior basket
- 2 – Heavy-duty removable handles with hardware
- High quality materials and construction
- Dual-voltage capability gives great flexibility
- Uses less power than many other models
- Tough design
- Large, heavy, and bulky to transport
Portable Fridge: Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this large portable true refrigerator? Which portable fridge is at the top of your list to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
The right portable refrigerator freezer can make all the difference when traveling, camping, RVing, or embarking on other outdoor adventures. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right portable fridge for your needs!