Doesn’t everyone love eating ice cream? But, it’s expensive to buy ice cream at the store and ice cream made in a factory somehow just doesn’t taste the same as the flavors you make yourself at home using your own ice cream maker. To make the best ice cream at home you need one of the best ice cream freezers. In particular, you need one of the electric ice cream freezers. The best electric ice cream freezers make delicious ice cream faster than manual, hand-cranked models. That gives the fun of ice cream making to children and others who might find the hand cranking difficult and tedious.
Like snow cones, too? Be sure and see our article about some of the best:
That’s not to say that making ice cream the old-fashioned way with a hand crank model doesn’t have its own rewards. In fact, the steps for making ice cream are really the same whether you use an electric model or hand crank. This article takes a look at how to make ice cream using an electric ice cream machine. If you’ve never made ice cream before at home, you’re in for a real treat. In fact, ice cream you buy at the store, may not taste the same again.
Kids of all ages love ice cream, and by making it yourself, you get to enjoy the process and pay attention to the ingredients. This allows you to make the ice cream healthier than some you might buy at the grocery store, off an ice cream truck, or your local ice cream shop. It’s also much cheaper to make ice cream at home than it is to run by the ice cream shop each time you and your kids get the urge. Often times, in colder climates, your local ice cream shop may close for the winter months. Having your own ice cream freezer makes it possible to enjoy your favorite flavors year round.
Electric Ice Cream Freezers 101
For the best ice cream, you should buy an old-fashioned electric ice cream maker where you use salt and ice as the refrigerant and not a model where you freeze the bowl in advance. An old-fashioned ice cream maker is more work, but the results far surpass any other ice cream makers you can buy. If you’re just looking to make ice cream at home and you’re not picky about the consistency, it’s much faster and easier to use a model where you freeze the bowl in advance like a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker.
Another tip is to make the ice cream recipe yourself from scratch in advance and not buying ice cream mix that you add flavors to. Ice cream mixes may have additives that you don’t want in your ice cream while choosing one of the great ice cream recipes available gives you complete control over all the ingredients.
The best electric ice cream machines have a powerful motor, a good mixer design, and a stainless steel freezer bowl. In addition, make certain all the components of the ice cream freezer are made from long-lasting, durable materials.
No matter who makes it, the basic process of making ice cream is the same. That means that whether you make it at home with your own electric ice cream freezer, or Ben & Jerry’s makes it in their factory, the only major difference is the scale of the process. You may make up to 6 quarts at a time while Ben & Jerry’s makes 100’s of times that in a day.
The process of making ice cream from scratch is actually a fairly simple process using an old-fashioned electric ice cream maker.
- The first thing you need is your ice cream recipe. Some of the best recipes are found at Southern Living’s website. Make your recipe in advance and keep it chilled in the refrigerator until you’re ready to freeze it.
- Next you need ice. You can break up chunks of ice using a hammer and a cloth bag, or you can buy small chunk ice at the store.
- Pour your refrigerated recipe into the freezer canister only to halfway as ice cream expands as it freezes.
- Place the “dasher” into the canister. A dasher consists of the blades that mix the ice cream during the freezing process.
- Next fill the bucket around the canister with ice to the top of the canister.
- Run the ice cream maker for a about 2 minutes so that the canister chills evenly.
- Add rock salt per the manufacturers directions, let it melt, and then add more ice as directed. This rock salt and ice mixture forms the refrigerant that actually freezes the ice cream and takes the place of pre-freezing the canister in the case of more basic ice cream maker models.
- Turn on the ice cream maker and allow it to churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions or about 20-25 minutes. This will properly mix the ice cream to a soft state.
- You are now ready to eat the ice cream or you can freeze it for a harder consistency.
- To freeze your ice cream hard the old-fashioned way, leave the ice cream in the freezer canister and cover the top with waxed paper and place the canister cover over that. Drain the salt and water from the maker and replace it with a mixture of salt and ice consisting of 5 parts ice and 1 part salt. Fill until the entire canister and lid are covered with the ice and salt mixture. Cover everything with a towel or other insulator and let stand until frozen hard.
Now you, your family, and friends get to enjoy the wonderful homemade ice cream you’ve created from scratch! So get out the ice cream scoop and the cones and have fun!
Whether you like your ice cream soft or hard, the two most important parts of the process are your recipe and the ice cream maker.
Ice Cream Freezers
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our steps? How do you make ice cream and which ice cream maker do you use or are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our BestRefrigeratorCentral.com article! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that helps you get started on your journey to making ice cream using one of the high-quality ice cream freezers!