A home ice machine will take the ice-making burden off your refrigerator so that you can have plenty of ice for parties and other get-togethers. If you spend money on bags of ice at your local convenience store each time you need ice, a home ice machine can eliminate the cost of those expensive bags.
A modern home ice machine can make ice at a rate that is much faster than your refrigerator ice maker and fit neatly on your countertop. If you currently use ice cube trays, this home ice machine is a must have.
What should you be thinking about when considering an ice machine?
Volume of Ice
Home ice makers don’t necessarily make a lot of ice in each batch, but over time the ice they make can really add. The most common style of countertop ice maker will not have a refrigerated bin. The way most party planners use it is to make several batches of ice while storing each batch in the freezer in preparation for their event. That way, the ice doesn’t melt and it’s ready to go when you are. Most home ice machines make around 30 lbs. of ice in each 24-hour period.
Looking for other ice machines? Be sure and see our articles about some of the best:
- Manitowoc Ice Machines: Intelligent Neo Undercounter Commercial Ice Machine Series
- EdgeStar Portable Stainless Steel Ice Maker
- Counter Top Ice Maker: Top 7 Best Rated Compact Ice Makers
- Undercounter Ice Machine: Top Rated Compact Commercial 85 lb Ice Maker
- Hoshizaki Ice Maker: Hoshizaki Ice Maker Selection Guide
- Undercounter Ice Maker: 3 Top 12-Pound Ice Machines
Ice Cube Sizes
Different sizes of ice have different characteristics. Larger ice cubes don’t melt as fast. Smaller cubes may be more desirable for some drinks.
Most home ice machines make their ice using a process that leaves each cube with a hole in the center. That hole makes the ice melt faster so you may find it’s better to make larger cubes so they don’t melt as fast if you’re leaving the ice out for guests.
You should expect any ice maker machine you’re considering to provide the ability to produce multiple ice sizes to meet your needs.
Ice Maker Capacity
Since you may need more than one batch of ice, countertop ice makers have a small bin that can hold multiple batches while you make more ice.
Again, home ice machine bins are small and unrefrigerated. They hold about 2 lbs. of ice, but if you aren’t going to use it right away, it will melt away probably faster than you would like.
We searched small appliance forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media, retail sites, and customer review sites to find the most popular and highly rated home ice machine.
Take a look at our choice and see if this top-rated ice maker is the best ice maker for your needs!
If you’re looking for a premium countertop home ice machine with an attractive design for use in your kitchen, bar, or office, the Della Portable High Capacity Electric Ice Maker w/ LCD Display is a popular choice. It can produce up to 28 lbs. of perfectly bullet-shaped ice cubes per day which is perfect for your RV, boat, or small kitchen. It’s compact so it will take up little space on your countertop while also being highly portable. It’s fast creating a batch of ice in as little as six minutes so you won’t have to wait for your refrigerator ice maker to have ice for drinks. It features an integrated LCD display and soft-touch control panel that allows you to easily monitor and control ice production. It couldn’t be easier to use. Just plug it in, at water, and watch the ice flow through its built-in window. Peace-of-mind features include reservoir low alert, ice bucket full alert, and automatic overflow protection.
Home Ice Machine: Features
- Sleek, attractive, portable ice maker that is capable of efficiently producing up to 28 lbs. of bullet ice per day and each batch in as little as 6 minutes
- Selectable small, medium, and large ice sizes
- Integrated LCD panel provides ice production monitoring information
- Soft-touch panel gives you complete control over ice making by allowing you to turn the machine off and on or choose the perfect ice size
- Easy to use, it requires no installation; just plug it in and add water
- Monitor ice production and ice level through its integrated top window
- Removable tray for easy ice transfer
- Ice bin holds approximately 2 lbs. of ice
- Clock and timer function
- Automatic water reservoir low and ice bucket full alerts
- Automatic overflow protection
- Ice scoop included
- Drain plug for easy emptying
- Dimensions are 12-1/4W x 14L x 14-1/2H inches
- Very easy to use
- Fast ice production
- Perfect size for countertop
- Stylish design
- Collection bin not cooled
- Hollow ice melts faster
- Complaints of chemical taste at start of use
- Doesn’t make a lot of ice per batch
Home Ice Machine: Comparison
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these ice machines? Which countertop ice maker are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A home ice maker takes the burden of producing ice for parties and get-togethers off your refrigerator and saves you money over buy ice at the convenience store. It gives you more control over one of the most important part of your beverage station. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best home ice machine for your needs!