A car freezer is a convenient way to keep frozen foods stored while traveling, camping, or on offroad adventures. There are a great many choices when it comes to a car freezer making the decision difficult for most.
There is no doubt that a car freezer is great to have whether you’re camping, RVing, off the beaten path, or just trying to stay off the grid. We have identified a car freezer that is a good choice for those with a limited budget that still has the performance and features you expect.
What is a car freezer? Any sort of refrigeration you want to carry in a vehicle is designed to accept at least a 12VDC power source because that’s what most vehicles provide. Some larger RVs and other trucks and buses may have 24VDC available and so if that’s your vehicle, you want to make sure you choose a vehicle freezer that can accommodate that source.
Also, you may want to use your new fridge/freezer in a hotel room or other locations where the only power available is 120/240VAC from a wall outlet. With that in mind, most fridge/freezer will also come with an AC adapter that can at least accept 120VAC power.
Portability and Durability
The main differences between your refrigerator/freezer at home and a compressor-based portable refrigerator are its portability and durability. A portable car freezer will endure a much harsher environment than your kitchen while it’s being transported and so it should be vibration-resistant, lightweight, as well as have features that make carrying it easier.
Interested in learning about other great portable freezers and refrigerators? Be sure to read our other in-depth articles before you buy!
- Travel Refrigerator: Top Rated 18-Quart Travel Thermoelectric Cooler
- Truck Fridge: Top Rated Slim Fit Compressor-Based Truck Refrigerator
- Dometic Fridge: Portable Dometic Dual-Zone True Refrigerator Freezer
- Portable Fridge: Extra-Large Portable Overland Refrigerator Freezer Keeps Food Colder
- Auto Refrigerator: Newest Rugged 12V Portable Fridge Freezer
- Boat Refrigerator: Top Rated AC-DC Portable Marine Fridge Freezer
- ARB Fridge: Durable, Efficient ARB Fridge Freezers Win Heat War
- Dometic RV Refrigerator: Dometic Portable Fridge Freezer Powerhouse
- Camper Refrigerator: Portable Refrigerator Saves Camping Trip
- Truck Refrigerator: Over-the-Road Trucker Fridge Buying Tips
- Portable Refrigerator: Top 8 Portable Real Fridges
- 12V Refrigerator: Top 5 Best Vehicle Coolers and Refrigerators
We searched camping forums, travel forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media, customer review sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated budget travel freezer.
Take a look at our choice and see if this 21-quart portable freezer is the best travel refrigerator for your needs!
Car Freezer: Top Rated Budget Portable Fridge Freezer
If you’re looking for a low-cost portable freezer to take with you on your travels, the Alpicool C20 21-Quart Portable Compressor Fridge Freezer is an excellent choice. In addition to being a budget car freezer, it is also the perfect choice for solar and wind applications where you’re trying to save energy. It accepts either 12/24VDC or 110/240VAC and even though it is less expensive than comparable models, it is a true zero-degree F freezer and is designed for the rugged, portable life. Specific design characteristics that make it one of the best portable choices include a 3-stage car battery protection system that keeps it from draining your car’s battery, handy handles on both sides for easy transport, a vibration-resistant design for carrying in cars, trucks, and boats, and it’s special design for safe operation at up to a 45-degree angle from horizontal for offroading use.
Car Freezer: Features
- Compressor-based design, true zero-degree F, 21-quart, refrigerator/freezer capable of storing approximately 25 standard 12-ounce cans
- Capable of accepting either a 12/24VDC or 110/240VAC power source
- Can achieve temperatures down to -4 degrees F giving you the flexibility to store a variety o frozen foods and beverages
- Lightweight foam construction and dual carrying handles make this unit highly portable
- Designed specifically for portable use, it has integrated vibration resistance to protect it from typical vehicle use and runs safely at angles up to 45 degrees supporting offroad use
- Its accurate electronic temperature control is mounted on a convenient control panel
- Designed to be highly efficient, the compressor has adjustable ECO and HH modes
- It measures 22.4W x 12.6D x 12.6H inches
- 1 – 12/24VDC power cord
- 1 – AC adapter
- Efficient low energy usage
- Budget priced
- Operates nearly silently
- Gets cold very fast
- Not equally effective as a fridge and freezer
- No air circulation in the compartment
For other opinions on car freezers, be sure to see this article from 4XOverland.com.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you like about these portable fridge/freezers? Which solar freezer/refrigerator is at the top of your list to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our solar freezer post! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you find the best car freezer for your needs!