You have several bottles of wine you want to keep at the perfect wine storage temperature and you know your refrigerator is not the solution. Unless you have your very own wine cellar, your options are limited. You need to consider compact wine refrigerators which will hold several bottles and keep them at the perfect temperature.
If you’ve been keeping your wine in your side-by-side, you know that when you take the wine out it is not at the right temperature. Also, some of your bottles are keepers and so you want to store them at the right temperature and humidity that will insure the wine ages perfectly and the corks don’t dry out in the process.
That’s where good quality compact wine refrigerators come in. They’re just the right size to hold a dozen bottles or less, they are easy to locate in your kitchen, family room, or den, and they won’t break the bank.
Not all compact beverage coolers or refrigerators are wine refrigerators. Standard compact fridges are made to hold soda and beer and their temperatures are consequently too low to store wine.
Wine refrigerators, coolers, or cellars on the other hand are designed specifically to store wine bottles. They usually have very specific built-in shelves made for wine-sized bottles. They are also not designed to have you cram in extra bottles to use up space like you might do with a regular compact refrigerator or beverage cooler. Wine bottles maintain a more even temperature if you provide enough space for the cool air to circulate around the bottles.
Classic vintages you aren’t planning to drink for possibly several years need a more sophisticated wine cellar than the models we’re reviewing here. Our Top 5 are designed to store wine for a year or two. If your need is to store them longer, take a look at a wine cellar or a wine cabinet which are designed for the job.
High-quality wine cellars have their own compressor and are much better at maintaining temperature than thermoelectric models. Thermoelectric models have the advantage of being less expensive, but since they only cool about 30 degrees below ambient air temperature, if the area you place the wine refrigerator in gets hot, the cooler may not be able to sustain optimum wine storage temperatures. If you do get a compressor model, make sure the wine fridge is isolated from vibration which can negatively affect your wine.
Wine refrigerators can be beautiful and elegant as well as effective. Some of the nicest designs feature glass doors to help you show off your collection. Just be sure the glass has UV protection to prevent damage to your wine from sunlight.
Wine refrigerators vary a lot in price depending on whether they have their own compressor, how many bottles they hold, and what features you want. If you’re not planning on storing bottles for long periods, a thermoelectric model will save you money and probably will be all you need.
We found 5 really nice wine coolers that give professional results and look nice doing it. We also found models with great features that aren’t too expensive for the casual collector. They all use thermoelectric technology, so they are value priced and will be quieter with less vibration.
Read on to discover if one of the five models we’ve selected is the perfect wine chiller for your needs!
Wine Refrigerators: Top 5 Compact Standalone Wine Coolers
Wine coolers are used to keep your wine at the perfect temperature, but the right cooler also lets you do a little showing off of your collection. This list includes coolers designed for small collections or for those who just want to store a small number of bottles for use at the right temperature. They are all thermoelectric, but for their compact size, that is the right technology.
#5 – HOMEIMAGE DUAL-ZONE 21-Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler (HI-21CD)
The largest cooler in our list, the HOMEIMAGE Dual-Zone 21-Bottle Wine Cooler is also one of the best values. It offers high-quality construction, dual-zone technology, and vibration-free and ultra-quiet operation. HOMEIMAGE has included some great features in this 21-bottle cooler.
- Dual-zone technology provides two compartments with separate temperature control so that you can store both red and white wines independently at their own perfect temperature
- Thermoelectric technology provides vibration-free and ultra-quiet operation
- You have complete control over this cooler using the digital controls, touch-button control panel, On/Off switch, and LED temperature display
- Temps are adjustable between 7-18C/44-64F upper compartment and 11-18C/52-64F lower compartment
- Low-maintenance auto-defrost capability
- Beautiful dual-pane glass door has a recessed handle
- Soft interior lighting gives your cooler ambience
- 6 wooden shelves
- Adjustable leveling feet
- Lightweight and portable for easy placement anywhere in your home
- Dimensions are 20.3 x 13.5 x 28.4 inches and it weighs in at about 40 lbs.
- Compact size
- Great value for dual-zone cooler
- High-quality design and appearance
- Handles larger bottles easily
- Temperature control not perfectly accurate
#4 – NewAir AW-121E 12-Bottle Single-Zone Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
The single zone NewAir AW-121E 12-Bottle Wine Cooler will keep 12 bottles of your favorite wine cooled at the same correct temperature. This is a cooler that is perfect for those not planning to store both red and white wines simultaneously. With its beautiful styling and compact size, it will fit nicely on your kitchen counter or bar countertop. NewAir builds a number of different compact refrigerators and they have put some great features into this wine refrigerator.
- Contemporary styling with stainless steel detailing will match any décor
- Compact size will fit easily on kitchen or bar countertops
- Quite, vibration-free thermoelectric cooling technology
- External digital control panel has easy-push buttons, temperature display, and an accurate digital temperature control
- 3 chrome-plated shelves slide out for easy access
- Soft Blue LED interior lighting helps put your wine in the best light
- Perfect compact size
- Pull-out shelves reduce damage to labels
- Holds all sizes of bottles
- Single zone
- Noise level of desktop computer
- Shelves are too close together
#3 – AVANTI 12-Bottle Wine Cooler
The AVANTI 12-Bottle Wine Cooler is one of the few wine coolers that provides for vertical storage of up to 4 open bottles. This is very handy to keep bottles you use often at the right temperature. This is a very stylish refrigerator with a curved glass door, beautiful black cabinet, and platinum finished accents. AVANTI has provided several nice features in this 12-bottle cooler.
- Beautiful look with a black cabinet, curved glass door, and platinum-finished accents
- Room for 12 wine bottles
- Vertical storage for up to 4 open bottles
- Built-in Soft Touch digital control display
- Thermoelectric cooling technology means no vibration that can disturb bottle sediment
- This model features automatic defrost
- The AVANTI 12-Bottle Wine Cooler measures 25.25H x 10W x 20.25D inches and weighs in at around 27 lbs.
- Can stand up open bottles
- Beautiful appearance
- Quiet operation
- Not dual-zone
- Temperature control not accurate
- Controls not illuminated
See the Avanti 12-Bottle Wine Cooler Instruction Manual >>>
#2 – Haier 12-Bottle Dual Zone Curved Door with Smoked Glass Wine Cellar (HVTEC12DAB)
If you keep a small collection of wines that you want to maintain at the right temperature, the Haier 12-Bottle Dual-Zone Wine Cellar is a great choice. Store your reds in the upper compartment and whites in the lower compartment so that each will be at their own perfect temperature. Each compartment features its own controls and display. See the features Haier has rolled into this great wine cellar.
- Beautiful all-black unit shows your wine collection perfectly in style
- 12 bottle capacity gives plenty of room for the casual collector or home wine connoisseur
- Dual-zone cellar lets you keep reds and whites separate and at their own temperature
- Compact size, small footprint, and reversible door make placement in your home easy
- You have complete control over both compartments using their separate touchscreen Electronic Temperature Controls and LED displays (46-66F Upper, 54-66F Lower)
- A curved, double-pane insulated smoked glass door with built-in lock makes this model secure, more energy-efficient, and provides the right climate for your wine
- Quiet thermoelectric cooling technology eliminates vibration that can harm wines
- Soft blue LED interior lighting makes it easier to see labels and highlights your collection
- 6 full-width chrome storage racks
- This Haier model measures 26H x 9.9W x 20.3D inches and weighs in at approximately 31 lbs.
- 1-Year limited manufacturer’s warranty on parts and labor
- Great value for dual-zone
- Sleek design
- Very good temperature control
- Compact size fits anywhere
- No light for bottom zone
- Some reports of noisy operation
#1 – Wine Enthusiast Slimline 18-Bottle Touchscreen Dual-Zone Wine Refrigerator
The Wine Enthusiast Slimline 18-Bottle Wine Refrigerator can fit into narrow spaces that others cannot. With its silent thermoelectric technology, dual-zone refrigeration, and modern look, this 18-Bottle model cools, protects, and shows-off your wonderful collection in style. Take a look at this model’s great features.
- Beautiful reflective thermopane smoked-glass door with recessed handle and stainless steel trim
- Dual-zone compartmented design keeps reds and whites chilled perfectly at their own temperatures (54-66F Top, 46-66F Bottom)
- Compact, slim profile fits into narrow spaces ar0und your home
- Thermoelectric technology eliminates vibration while providing quiet and energy-efficient operation
- Stay in control with an exterior digital touchscreen temperature panel
- Soft LED interior lighting lights up labels and shows off your collection
- 7 chrome sliding shelves
- ETL approved
- Measures 37-1/2H x 9-7/8W x 20D inches
- Beautiful slim design (pictures don’t do it justice)
- Dual temperature zones is a great feature
- Quality workmanship
- Some reports of noisy operation
- No light in bottom zone
- Large bottles don’t fit well
Wine Refrigerators Comparison Chart
|Title||AVANTI 12 BOTTLE WINE COOLER||NewAir AW-121E 12 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler||Haier 12-Bottle Dual Zone Curved Door with Smoked Glass Wine Cellar||HOMEIMAGE 21 Bottle Dual-zone Thermoelectric Wine Cooler with Wooden Rack - HI-21CD||Wine Enthusiast 18-Bottle Touchscreen Wine Refrigerator (Slimline - 2-Temp)|
|Feature||Stores up to 12 Wine Bottles|
Innovative Design Allows the Standing or Vertical Storage of up to 4 Open Bottles
No Vibration - Bottle Sediment is not Disturbed
Curved Glass Door for a Modern and Sylish Look
Classic Black Cabinet with Platinum Finished Accents Compliment Any Decor
|Perfect size for countertops and wet pars|
Thermoelectric cooling is silent and vibration free
Digital control panel is easy to use and operate
Soft LED illumination
3 slide-out chrome shelves hold 12 bottles of wine
|Vibration-free; Ultra Quiet Thermal Electric Cooling|
Perfect for Red or White Wines
Curved Door with Smoked Glass with Black Trim/Black Cabinet
Dual Touch Screen Controls with2 LED Displays. Independently adjust Temperature 46-66F upper compartment; 54-66F lower Compartment
6 Full-Width Chrome Storage Racks
|70L For Loading Of 21 Bottles|
Dual Pane Glass Door With Recessed Handle
Soft Interior Lighting With ON/OFF Switch
Non Vibration & Quiet Operation
|A thermoelectric, energy-efficient, CFC-free wine cooler. ETL approved.|
Two zones: top holds 10 bottles, bottom holds 8. 7 pull-out chrome shelves. Exterior digital touchscreen with temperature display
Touch Screen Top Zone adjustable temperature range of 54-66°F provides ideal storing conditions for reds and whites
Touch Screen Bottom Zone adjustable temperature range of 46-66°F provides ideal storing conditions for reds and whites, and optimum serving conditions for most whites Exterior digital touchscreen with temperature display
18-bottle capacity***Note: Shelving is meant to hold standard Bordeaux size bottles, using larger size bottles may limit the capacity. If you would like to store larger bottles you can easily remove any of the shelves. This will also prevent scraping the labels on the larger bottles.
|Model||EWC1201||NEWA1012||HVTEC12DABS||HA-HI-21CD||272 03 02 18|
|Warranty||1 year limited||1 Year Limited||1 Year Limited Manufacturer||1 Year Limited Parts & Labor|
|Height||25.25 inch||19 inch||9.9 inch||31.6 inch||37.5 inch|
|Weight||27 pound||26 pound||31.3 pound||44 pound|
|Width||10 inch||19.5 inch||26 inch||13.5 inch||9.88 inch|
|Length||20.25 inch||14 inch||20.3 inch||19.8 inch||20 inch|
|Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews||Read Reviews|
|Link||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info||More Info|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of Aug 25 18:52:05 UTC but are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on the merchant site at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of our wine coolers list? Which wine cooler are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our refrigerator article! We sincerely hope that it has provided you with valuable information that helps you in your search for the best wine refrigerators!